It’s too easy to go through our daily routine and take for granted how good we have things in America. Unfortunately many young Americans don’t realize the reasons we have the life and opportunities they do and routinely take it for granted or worse, believe they automatically rate these great opportunities without considering a price that came with it.
If we stop and look at the reasons we are able to live the way we do it stems back to the heritage of those that have given all for what they believe in. Many younger Americans can’t comprehend that there was a time when America was threatened, the freedoms we enjoy and the country as a whole. During great World Wars, America stepped up and smashed multiple oppositions that wanted to destroy what America stood for even attacking us.
For all of those evils that were defeated in the past and even today with new evils trying to attack us and destroy and change America we have to thank our veterans that went into harms way and never came back. Veterans that freely volunteer to go to the point of friction, the area where the most heinous things man can do are witnessed and defeated evil even when it cost many of them their lives both yesteryear and today.
When you look at the mere numbers America has sacrificed on foreign soil to take the fight against evil its astonishing. Look at the pictures below and remember not only those that died for America, but there are families for each of those below that made a sacrifice as well.
2. The American Cemetery at Ardennes , Belgium ..
A total of 5329
3. The American Cemetery at Brittany, France .
A total of 4410
4. Brookwood , England American Cemetery. A total of 468
5. Cambridge , England .. 3812
6. Epinal , France American Cemetery. A total of 5525
7. Flanders Field , Belgium ... A total of 368
8. Florence , Italy . A total of 4402
9. Henri-Chapelle , Belgium . A total of 7992
10. Lorraine , France . A total of 10,489
11. Luxembourg , Luxembourg. A total of 5076
12. Meuse-Argonne. A total of 14246
13. Netherlands , Netherlands . A total of 8301
14. Normandy ,
France . A total of 9387
15. Oise-Aisne , France . A total of 6012
16. Rhone , France .. A total of 861
17. Sicily , Italy. A total of 7861
18. Somme , France .. A total of 1844
19. St. Mihiel , France . A total of 4153
20. Suresnes , France . A total of 1541
The count is 104,366
HOW MANY FRENCH, DUTCH, ITALIANS,
BELGIANS AND BRITS ARE BURIED ON
OUR SOIL, DEFENDING US AGAINST OUR
Below are some additional figures that remind us that freedom isn’t free:
World War I - 116,516
World War II - 405,399
Vietnam War - 58,209
Korean War - 36,516
Operation Iraqi Freedom - 4,486
Operation Enduring Freedom - 1,984 (to date)
Our young Americans and unfortunately some adults could use a good face shot to remind them that to a degree everything they have today in America is because of those previous numbers of warriors that gave all. You don’t “rate” a monetary fortune, you don’t automatically deserve nice things, no one “owes” you anything in America. If you do your best you will get what is coming to you. Those that are honored this Memorial day didn’t ask what their country could do for them, they went and gave all for their country and in my book there is no greater display of sacrifice or patriotism.
Time for a CGar!